How Much Progesterone Cream to Use
The cream can be used at any time of the day and, if preferred, on more than one occasion, but no less than twice a day, as progesterone levels drop after about 13 hours.
It can be applied to any part of the body and does not have to be used only on the thin skinned areas as is sometimes recommended. The skin comprises 95% kerotinocytes, which have a plentiful supply of progesterone receptors, even the hair follicles absorb it well.
Please note the amount suggested is a guide only as each individual is different. It’s only by trial and error that the correct amount is found. Another point to remember is that stress drops progesterone levels sharply so apply more to prevent the return of symptoms.
Progesterone should always be used dependant on symptoms and not on ‘dose’. If symptoms are severe more will be needed, if mild then less.
Generally between 100-200mg/day of progesterone (that is 3ml to 6ml of cream) is needed.
Please note… The figures below showing quantities of progesterone cream are based on a concentration of 3.33% progesterone as is the case with a 2oz (60 gram) tube of Natpro cream containing 2000mg (2 grams) of progesterone.
Women dosage of progesterone cream
- if a cycle is present apply the cream twice daily from ovulation for the next 14 days, bleeding should occur within a day or two. The luteal phase is always 12-14 days in all women, any less and it’s known as a ‘defective luteal phase’ Cycles vary from 21 days to 36 days. For instance in a 21 day cycle the cream should be used from day 8 for 14 days, if a 28 day cycle from day 15 for 14 days, and if a 36 day cycle from day 22 for 14 days
- Peri or post Menopausal, Hysterectomy, Oophorectomy, Pre-pubertal, Pubertal
- if there is no cycle, or an erratic one too difficult to follow, apply the cream twice daily. There is no need for a break as some suggest, although some women prefer to have one. Either is fine.
- Severe symptoms
- hot flushes Use at least 400mg/day for 4-5 days, this generally stops them. It’s best to apply the cream hourly
- heavy, continual bleeding 400-600mg/day from 1 to 3 months, ignoring the cycle. When the bleeding has stopped, slowly reduce the cream until bleeding occurs again, then discontinue the cream for 14 days. Then start again from day 15 for 14 days. Over the coming months the natural cycle length will assert itself. It’s best to apply the cream hourly
- a multitude of bad symptoms Use a minimum of 200mg/day following the cycle, more might be needed. If symptoms return during the break, then continue applying the cream twice daily or more frequently until they resolve. Once they have then begin following the cycle again.
Men dosage of progesterone cream
Use from 10 to 100mg/day of progesterone (that is 0.3ml to 3 ml of cream). It’s best applied twice a day.
- 1 ml (1/5th tsp) of Natpro cream contains 33.3mg of progesterone
- 2ml (2/5th tsp) contains 66.6mg of progesterone
- 3ml (3/5th tsp) contains 100mg of progesterone
- 4ml (4/5th tsp) contains 133.2mg progesterone
- 5ml (1tsp) contains 166.5mg progesterone
- 1/8th teaspoon (0.625ml) contains 20.8mg progesterone
- 1/4tsp (1.25ml) contains 41.6mg
- 1/2tsp (2.5ml) contains 83.2mg
- 3/4tsp (3.75ml) contains 124.8mg progesterone
- 1tsp (5ml) contains 166.5mg progesterone
1ml (1/5th tsp) will cover both feet and both legs, or both arms, stomach and breasts.